Monday, June 26, 2006

FON

I just found out about FON while reading an article on YAHOO! News (see article). FON is a global community of people who share their WiFi, all free of charge.

All you do is sign up, install some firmware to your home router and you are able to connect to any FON WiFi hotspot around the country for free. I think this is a great idea. If this catches on, people could go anywhere and connect and not have to worry about paying for connections over and over again if they aren't at home or in the office.

On top of that, the FON community is selling Linksys wireless routers for $5!!! All you have to do is sign up and keep your router connected to your ISP. It's that simple.

The only downfall I see to this is if you get bandwidth hogs attached to your network or some jackass hacker that tries to gain access to your network PCs.

With that said, I think the concept is great and I hope it becomes widespread.

No comments: